A numerical characteristic method for probability generating functions on stochastic first-order reaction networks
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- A numerical characteristic method for probability generating functions on stochastic first-order reaction networks
- Lee, Chang Hyeong; Shin, Jaemin; Kim, Junseok
- Characteristic method; First-order partial differential equation; First-order reaction network; Monte Carlo method
- Issue Date
- JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL CHEMISTRY, v.51, no.1, pp.316 - 337
- We propose an efficient and accurate numerical scheme for solving probability generating functions arising in stochastic models of general first-order reaction networks by using the characteristic curves. A partial differential equation derived by a probability generating function is the transport equation with variable coefficients. We apply the idea of characteristics for the estimation of statistical measures, consisting of the mean, variance, and marginal probability. Estimation accuracy is obtained by the Newton formulas for the finite difference and time accuracy is obtained by applying the fourth order Runge-Kutta scheme for the characteristic curve and the Simpson method for the integration on the curve. We apply our proposed method to motivating biological examples and show the accuracy by comparing simulation results from the characteristic method with those from the stochastic simulation algorithm.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- SNS_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.