Unsymmetrical fluorinated malonatoborate as an amphoteric additive for high-energy-density lithium- ion batteries
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Unsymmetrical fluorinated malonatoborate as an amphoteric additive for high-energy-density lithium- ion batteries
- Han, Jung-Gu; Lee, Jae Bin; Cha, Aming; Lee, Tae Kyung; Cho, Woongrae; Chae, Sujong; Kang, Seok Ju; Kwak, Sang Kyu; Cho, Jaephil; Hong, Sung You; Choi, Nam-Soon
- Issue Date
- ROYAL SOC CHEMISTRY
- ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, v.11, no.6, pp.1552 - 1562
- High-capacity Si-embedded anodes and Li-rich cathodes are considered key compartments for post lithium-ion batteries with high energy densities. However, the significant volume changes of Si and the irreversible phase transformation of Li-rich cathodes prevent their practical application. Here we report lithium fluoromalonato(difluoro)borate (LiFMDFB) as an unusual dual-function additive to resolve these structural instability issues of the electrodes. This molecularly engineered borate additive protects the Li-rich cathode by generating a stable cathode electrolyte interphase (CEI) while simultaneously tuning the fluoroethylene carbonate (FEC)-oriented solid electrolyte interphase (SEI) on the Si–graphite composite (SGC) anode. The complementary electrolyte design utilizing both LiFMDFB and FEC exhibited an improved capacity retention of 85%, a high Coulombic efficiency of ∼99.5%, and an excellent energy density of ∼400 W h kg−1 in Li-rich/SGC full cells at a practical mass loading after 100 cycles. This dual-function additive approach offers a way to develop electrolyte additives to build a more favorable SEI for high-capacity electrodes.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.