Detection of tropical overshooting cloud tops using himawari-8 imagery
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Detection of tropical overshooting cloud tops using himawari-8 imagery
- Kim, Miae; Im, Jungho; Park, Haemi; Park, Seonyoung; Lee, Myong-In; Ahn, Myoung-Hwan
- overshooting tops; Himawari-8; random forest; extremely randomized trees; logistic regression
- Issue Date
- MDPI AG
- REMOTE SENSING, v.9, no.7, pp.685 -
- Overshooting convective cloud Top (OT)-accompanied clouds can cause severe weather conditions, such as lightning, strong winds, and heavy rainfall. The distribution and behavior of OTs can affect regional and global climate systems. In this paper, we propose a new approach for OT detection by using machine learning methods with multiple infrared images and their derived features. Himawari-8 satellite images were used as the main input data, and binary detection (OT or nonOT) with class probability was the output of the machine learning models. Three machine learning techniques-random forest (RF), extremely randomized trees (ERT), and logistic regression (LR)-were used to develop OT classification models to distinguish OT from non-OT. The hindcast validation over the Southeast Asia andWest Pacific regions showed that RF performed best, resulting in a mean probabilities of detection (POD) of 77.06% and a mean false alarm ratio (FAR) of 36.13%. Brightness temperature at 11.2 μm (Tb11) and its standard deviation (STD) in a 3 × 3 window size were identified as the most contributing variables for discriminating OT and nonOT classes. The proposed machine learning-based OT detection algorithms produced promising results comparable to or even better than the existing approaches, which are the infrared window (IRW)-texture and water vapor (WV) minus IRW brightness temperature difference (BTD) methods.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.