Configuration Guidance Framework for Molecular Dynamics Simulations in Virtualized Clusters
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Configuration Guidance Framework for Molecular Dynamics Simulations in Virtualized Clusters
- Han, Jaeung; Kim, Changdae; Huh, Jaehyuk; Jang, Gil-Jin; Choi, Young-Ri
- Cloud computing; scientific applications; virtual cluster configuration; molecular dynamics simulations; performance modeling and prediction
- Issue Date
- IEEE COMPUTER SOC
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SERVICES COMPUTING, v.10, no.3, pp.366 - 380
- With the advancement of cloud computing, there has been a growing interest in exploiting demand-based cloud resources for parallel scientific applications. To satisfy different needs for computing resources, cloud providers provide many different types of virtual machines (VMs) with various numbers of computing cores and amounts of memory. The cost and execution time of a scientific application vary depending on the types of VMs, number of VMs, and current status of the cloud due to interference among VMs. However, currently, cloud users are solely responsible for selecting the most effective VM configuration for their needs, but often end up with sub-optimal selections. In this paper, using molecular dynamics simulations as a case study, we propose a framework to guide users to select the optimal VM configurations that satisfy their requirements for scientific parallel computing in virtualized clusters. For molecular dynamics computation on a cluster of VMs, the guidance framework uses artificial neural networks which are trained to predict its execution times for various inputs, VM configurations, and status of interference among VMs. Using our performance prediction mechanisms, the guidance framework helps users choose an optimal or near-optimal VM cluster configuration under cost and runtime constraints.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- ECE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.