Validation of 3-D Time Domain Particle-in-Cell Simulations for Cold Testing a W-Band Gyrotron Cavity
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Validation of 3-D Time Domain Particle-in-Cell Simulations for Cold Testing a W-Band Gyrotron Cavity
- Sawant, Ashwini; Kim, Sung Gug; Lin, Ming-Chieh; Kim, Jung Ho; Hong, Yongjun; So, Joonho; Choi, EunMi
- Conformal finite-difference time-domain (CFDTD) simulation; gyrotron cavity; MAGIC; PIC code; VSim
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON PLASMA SCIENCE, v.42, no.12, pp.3989 - 3995
- This paper evaluates the performance and reliability of a commercially available 3-D conformal finite-difference time-domain particle-in-cell (PIC) code, VSim, for cold test simulations of a gyrotron cavity. An interaction cavity for a 95-GHz gyrotron is simulated and optimized using the VSim PIC code to achieve TE6,2 mode excitation. The optimized cavity design is also studied and compared using the commercially available numerical code, CASCADE, and PIC code, MAGIC. A rigorous analysis of the simulation results obtained through VSim and MAGIC is performed using the CASCADE results as a reference. The performance of VSim is also compared with MAGIC based on its accuracy for calculating the resonant frequency and quality factor. Finally, the optimized cavity is fabricated and experimentally tested to measure the resonant frequency and the quality factor. The experimental results confirm the reliability and accuracy of the VSim cold cavity results.
Appears in Collections:
- SNS_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.